Home » Unusual » Darlington Railway Ghosts

Darlington Railway Ghosts

Bishop Auckland trains still call at Darlington North Road, where some of the adjacent buildings now house the Darlington Railway Museum. The museum apparently has several ghosts, in addition to its railway collection.

North Road Station

Darlington North Road station lies on the Bishop Auckland branch of the Tees Valley Line. The station buildings date from 1842. North Road stands on the route of the original 1825 Stockton and Darlington Railway (S&DR).

Head of Steam Museum

Head of Steam, the Darlington Railway Museum, opened in 1975. It includes North Road station, the goods shed and Hopetown Carriage Works, housing a collection of S&DR relics as well as the aforementioned ghosts.

The ghosts of North Road station include a third-class carriage ghost, a man in a red jacket on locomotive Tennant 1463, the ghost in the cellar, a man in black on the platform bridge and a phantom passenger.

The museum exhibits consist of S&DR artefacts, including locomotives and models. It houses Locomotion No.1, the first loco to carry railway passengers, and other locomotives.

A youtube video of North Road Station and The Head of Steam Darlington Railway Museum:

Internet Resources